It’s fun to see things you love on the big (or small) screen and one thing everyone loves is chocolate. That’s why it’s so often that the dessert makes appearances in some of our favorite TV shows and movies. Below is a list of some of the best scenes featuring chocolate!
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory most likely holds the record for the most popular movie about candy. The movie was one of two, the second 2005 film, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, once again boosted the popularity of the classic story, written by Roald Dahl. Each one was unique in its own way with acting, story and aesthetic, but both included the iconic chocolate river scene. In said scene, one of Willy Wonka’s victims goes to drink from a gigantic river made entirely of melted chocolate and falls in; there’s even a waterfall with rushing milk chocolate. This part of the movie gives the phrase “Death by Chocolate” a whole new meaning, and honestly doesn’t sound so bad.
- Another iconic pop culture scene about chocolate comes from one of the most famous episodes of I Love Lucy. The title character and bestie Ethel get jobs at a chocolate factory. Their work consisted of grabbing chocolate pieces from a conveyor belt and placing them into proper boxes. The speed gradually increases until it becomes too much for the women, who start eating the chocolates in order to keep up with production. These hilarious shenanigans were ahead of its time, and it is still regarded as one of the funniest TV scenes to this day.
- The Goonies is an older movie that some may not connect to chocolate upon first thinking. However, the turning point of the film happens when one of the main characters is trapped in an underground prison with a “monster,” who turns out to be nothing more than a misunderstood boy with a disability. The kid shares his chocolate bar with the boy and they bond over its yummy taste. It’s a heartfelt moment in an otherwise adventurous movie.
- E.T. has, of course, that famous Reese’s Pieces scene. The alien who was accidentally stranded on earth discovers the chocolatey peanut butter treat and becomes obsessed with it. The adorable scene made viewers fall in love with ET and Reese’s Pieces. Up until that point, Reese’s Pieces was a market bust with Hershey until the movie became a blockbuster hit! Incidentally, M & M’s was the first candy to be approached by the movie studio, but the Mars company turned down the opportunity, paving the way for Hershey.
- In the first Harry Potter movie, the title character gets on a train with another boy. The two order armloads of candy of all different kinds. One piece specifically is a chocolate frog. In the film, the frog is alive until you take a bite, but in real life, you can find the HP – themed chocolate frogs online, but sadly, they will not jump out of the box.
- Of course, where would this list be without mentioning Chocolat, a film literally named after the food. The movie follows a woman who opens up a chocolate shop in a small French town. The controversy of her delectable desserts and the superpowers they seem to possess, causes an uproar among the more conservative village members during the season of Lent, a time for fasting. One scene in particular features the main character and her love interest eating pieces of chocolate together – one of the most iconic scenes in the film.
- On a not so delicious note, we all remember that one, gut wrenching scene from the movie Matilda. In it, one of the students at a school is punished for eating a slice of chocolate cake by being forced to eat an entire chocolate cake in one sitting. Such a request might make one’s mouth water, but as the scene goes on, the student becomes more full. It’s nauseating to watch him struggle to eat what is likely 20 servings chocolate. Dream becomes a nightmare in under 2 minutes.